Thursday, January 27, 2011

This is me...



My name is Yolanda Mfikili, studying Architectural Technology at The Cape Peninsula University of Technology. I have recently just finished my first year of study. I chose this field of study since I always seek for challenges
which I believe are a sure way to tell that one is still alive and growing.
Architecture challenges me everyday and I am sure that for as long as it does,
it remains something that is of interest to me and has always been a dream to
study. The minute it stops being challenging which  I doubt will ever happen, it would  mean it is dead and thus that will force me to look for a new interest. Dreams get you into the future and add excitement to the present. The next step would be to cultivate this dream to help it flourish.


I love collecting souvenirs from every place I travel to. Recently I've been to Swaziland and what a beautiful place it is.                                                                                                That country is one of  the few which is ruled by a king. It is so rich and cultured and quite backward. It is not riddled with alot of buildings like Cape town and Johannesburg and the roads are quite narrow. The earth is so rich and red. At times when we drove by some Swati ladies even dug some clay out, they have it as a casual delicacy. Oh I Ioved that place. Their architecture is not as advanced as ours though, what wouldv'e been a corrugated shack to us, to them is one made using clay. Nature is dominant majestically with vegetation abundant possibly everywhere you look.

At the moment I have my Bible at my bedside, obviously meaning that I read a scripture each day before I go to sleep, this is to keep me grounded and balanced after each day whether it have been hectic or joyous. I will soon expand my reading collection and have some architectural journals for some brain-food.

I find inspiration from God since he provides me with the energy to think big and create with reference to the nature He created to envelope us as humans of all colour to share and explore.                        

                       I also find inspiration from the most random of things whether they be designs on a sweet packet... to the lovely shades of  natural light cast on an object.The idea is of appreciating and working with/around what life gives us.                      


I love the sound of the ocean, that sound is my most basic indication of telling that life is happening and is not just a dream but a reality and that we must live in each moment and make something valuable of  it.



My favourite music is Neo-soul and basically calm, sentimental and nostalgic music.                                            

 I love the smell of freshness from the smell of leather seats of a brand new car to the crisp fresh air of morning dew on grass...


The photograph i love the most currently shows me in a red pants jumping depicting joy and excitement ...thats because I'm in Swaziland excited to go off and see places and meet some Swatis. : ). My favourite food is an african dish called Umphokoqo.

I didn't have a definition for architecture before because there is simply too many to choose from until a man called Proffessor Raman who is the architectural technology HOD gave a lecture on some precedent and happened to mention that Architecture is the art of consruction...that definition stuck with me because it explained such a complex subject into just one simple sentence without the use of jargon.                                          

My favourite colour is turquoise.
                                                                                           



I can really relax when im in the presence of my family...they know me better than anyone else and I relax when praying because I forget about everything which causes me distress.

No comments:

Post a Comment